“You ever been in a chickie-run?”*
The Star of the Month for November on TCM is Natalie Wood. Every Friday this month they will be showing her movies, including a few favorites of mine.
Rebel Without a Cause (1955) with James Dean
Love With the Proper Stranger (1963) with Steve McQueen
The Searchers (1956) with Jeffrey Hunter
Natalie’s career was a little uneven, but she was in some great movies, both as a child (Miracle on 39th Street) and as a teenager and an adult. It was a sad day indeed when she drowned at age 43 in 1981.
I am happy to toast her tonight and watch a movie with one of her dreamy co-stars.
And this news made me very happy:
For those of us who have trouble sleeping at night, here are some no-brainer suggestions from the National Sleep Foundation:
- Practice yoga, meditation or deep breathing before bed, to help you feel more relaxed.
- Avoid TV or computers before bed, These devices can stimulate your brain and make it more difficult to fall asleep.
- Enjoy a soothing mug of chamomile tea.
- Take a shower or bath.
- Perform leg exercises, such as squats, to promote blood flow to the legs.
- Count sheep or breathe deeply. Or imagine yourself already asleep.
- Earlier in the day, make time to exercise.
- If there’s something you’re worried about it, think through it during the day.
I particularly like that last one. I mean seriously. Thanks.
Have a good weekend! Don’t forget to turn your clocks back on Saturday night!
*Buzz Gunderson in Rebel Without a Cause