There will be weeping there and gnashing of teeth*
Silly me. I actually thought that once the election was over we could get back to living our short, hapless lives without the intrusion of shrill campaign rhetoric. But no, the political divide is bigger than ever and the upheaval continues. Here are some survival strategies:
- Be polite at all times and under all circumstances.
- Lead by example, rather than by telling other people what they should do or think.
- Be compassionate. I am not advocating moral relativity, but do remember that everyone has their reasons.
- Listen more than you speak (admittedly, this is not one of my strong points).
- Above all, remember that you control how you react to provocation. If you get angry, the provocateur wins. Try turning the other cheek.
- If all else fails, disarm the opposition with random quotes from Mr. Rogers. They’ll think you come from one of those states that just legalized marijuana…
Finally, I recommend that we unplug our electronic devices, make a cup of tea, and read a good book — maybe The Good Book. Praying wouldn’t be a bad idea.
And don’t forget to serve cocktails at 5…